Friday, January 2, 2009

Remembering 2008, looking forward to 2009

How do you recap a year of your life in a paragraph or two? How do you condence it into a couple phrases? Into a word? So much took place in our lives this year that I could write for hours and merely scratch the surface. A few words that do resonate with me when looking at 2008 are trial, providence, grace, growth, fear, trust. I look back and certainly remember the mistakes, the pain of the unknown - feelings that thrust icy slivers through my heart, force my gaze down lest someone see into my eyes and into my doubting heart.
Yet, I look back and can't help but see the forgiveness and grace. I remember also the peace of knowing He is near even in the unknown, filling the frozen places of my heart with a warmth that radiated and healed. I can' help but recognize His hand of blessing - in the healthy birth and growth of Caleb, in the milestones that we celebrated in Jeremiah and Logan. He has shown Himself real - and loving - and capable of fulfilling His promises. More than capable, excited, to fulfill the promise He has made and to continue the story of the faith He authored in me.
So I look at 2009, and here is my goal: that I allow Him to write my story, that I open up my frozen parts to his mercy and my pain to His healing. That I continue to and with more regularity recognize His hand in my situations.

...for your mercies are new every morning - great is your faithfulness...

2 comments:

Cari said...

you are a fantastice writer. wow, your words gave me chills. Beautifully written and God bless 2009 and may he be merciful and gracious. love you and miss you!

JustWonderin said...

I believe it was Frederick Buechner who said "even tragedy can be a means of grace".